Wednesday, April 3, 2013

award/ fashion start up/ stay away from cruises

Mar. 22 Award: In Feb. I was nominated for this customer service award.  I had to fill out this form so I can get to the next round in Mar.  If I pass the 2nd round in Mar, then I would get to be at the award ceremony and possibly win it.

I filled out the form and then forgot about it, because there's nothing I could do about it for a month.  I was going through my disk, and I find that form.  I then find the old piece of paper I got, and it turns out the 2nd round has passed.  So it looks like I didn't get called to the 2nd round.  No big deal.

Bad jobs: "Does your job make the world a worse place?" was in 24 on Nov. 19, 2012.  It's by Joanne Richard.  It's about people feeling guilty about their jobs:

Fast food worker: 38.4%
Gaming dealer 17.6%
Telemarketer: 9.4%
TV news director: 8.1%
Bartender: 6.7%
Loan collector: 4.9%
Fashion designer: 4.9%
Investment banking associate:  4.6%
Senior attorney 4.4%
Credit/ collections supervisor 4.1%
Retail sales associate 3.7%
Legal assistant 3.4%
Advertising account executive 3.3%
Claims adjuster 3.1%
Petroleum engineer: 3.1%

When you feel bad about your job: "...hurts our self-esteem and gives us a sense not of what we can do, but of powerlessness.  Feeling powerless and defeated doesn't help people in our world near or far." -Job expert Geoff Bagg

His tip is not to love your job, but find something to make it bearable like your co-workers, good for your resume, you learn something, etc.

Flashback: It reminds me of time back at the Soup place.  One of my co-workers actually used to work at Call Centre #1, and she said she always felt bad because she felt like she was bothering people to do surveys.  I never felt guilty for calling people to do surveys.  I'm not forcing anyone to do something they don't want to do.

Job interview:
A few months ago, I did a job interview and I wrote about it.  Remember that time the interviewer was a woman who I felt like was "attacking" me?  Her tone of voice was kind of harsh.  The whole story is this: I was interviewing for a credit and collections agency.

Now I'm sure all you are like: "Oh yeah.  That explains her tone of voice.  She is probably so used to yelling at people on the phone to pay their bills, that this is how she normally talks now."

I did learn something in the interview. 

Interviewer: When you ask someone to pay their bill, they say: "I don't have a job."  What do you say?
Me: Can you get a job?  Can you ask your friends and family to loan you some money?

I don't know if that was a very strong or good answer.  I was thinking: "This job can get me really angry."

I did tell my dad about it and he said: "It's two different things.  You're asking for money and this person can't give it to you.  Two different problems."

Mar. 24: I told my co-worker at the restaurant about it, and she said she had collections call her before too.  It's because she went to Australia for a year and worked there, and got some debt.  She said this woman was really mean to her on the phone, and then my co-worker got choked up on the phone.  The woman then was a little nicer after that.

The solution is that as soon as she sees the number on her cell phone, she doesn't pick up.

True Life: I remember watching this documentary TV show on MTV.  It was probably back in 2009.  They talked to and followed  three people in debt.  One woman was being constantly called on her cell phone by collectors so she rarely ever picked up.

Business cards: I was going through my envelopes and it's usually paper clutter.  I found a GAP business card to apply at: www.gapinc.com/storejobs

I also found a business card from a bank job interview I went to.  It was way back in 2011.  Then I found another card to a job interview I did in 2011.  The office was really close by my house.

Mar. 26: I also recycled a doctor's office card.

Fashion start up: I found this on Yahoo where 22 yr old Sophia Amoruso created this ebay website.  In 2006, she was community college dropout, living in her step-aunt's cottage and checking student IDs for $13/hr.  She created a company called Nasty Gal where she goes to Salvation Army and finds a Chanel coat.  She buys it for $8 and auctions it off for $1000.

It's a pretty long article.  In a period of 7 yrs, she did grow her business pretty fast.  She went from the cottage, and then moved her business to another office, and then to a bigger office.  She went from ebay to getting a friend to create a website for her.  She learned how to use Photoshop.  She went from Myspace to Facebook.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/naughty-name-only-015034664.html

Here are some comments:

Heartagram: "working at an art school checking student IDs for $13 an hour"

I would have been happy to have THAT job! I didn't make that much as a chain retail store manager.

Mantis: "Ms. Amoruso also outgrew eBay, which she said was a terrible platform to start a business."

Agreed.

Ballsofkungfucious: Cleopatra with nice business acumen

Post Secret:
I found this secret on Mar. 25,2013:

"Every time my boss calls me into her office, I hope it's to fire me."

Me: This person sounds like he really hates his job.  That reminds me of the days I used to work at Call Centre #2.  I was hoping I would get laid off because earlier that year I was laid off from Call Centre #1.

Mar. 27 Stay away from cruises: On Feb. 15, 2013, my little brother was watching 20/20.  I was on the computer and listened.  It talked about that Carnival cruise where people were stranded there for a few days.  The toilets were backed up and they had to use plastic bags as toilets.  Food was running out and they were eating bread with ketchup on them.

It belongs in my work email because they interviewed a guy who worked on a cruise, and he was working 80hr work weeks.  He said something about he only got paid in tips.  He mentions about how the workers work hard and play hard on the cruise.

Safety: However, it's not really good work safety.  They talked to a woman who worked there and was raped by another worker.  The manager tells her that he's sorry that it happened to her, and to get over it and move on.  She mentioned if there is some cold/ virus floating around, they won't tell the other passengers about it.

This reminded me of a W-Five episode I saw years ago when I was in college.  It was probably from 2006-2008.

On W-Five, they talked to this young woman that when she was on a cruise as a young girl like 12yrs old or something, she was raped.  She was lured to see some dolphins.  This is going from my memory, but there weren't police on the boat, so the girl and her mom had to gather evidence on their own from their room.

I thought the sinking of the Costa Concordia was bad, but there are bad things on cruises.  I remember my sister saying something about what's the point of going on a cruise?  There are stores, amusement parks and pools in the cruise ship, but you can do all those things on land.

This sure makes me appreciate if I was stranded at an airport with a huge snow storm.  At least you're on land, and it's easier for police, ambulances and other emergency services to get to.  If you're on a cruise, you have to wait for a helicopter to fly out.

No comments: