Sunday, January 25, 2015

Florida teen saves cop/ Raider’s player charity



Jan. 20 Florida teen saves cop: I found this on Yahoo news:

Fort Lauderdale, FL — A Florida teen was honored by Fort Lauderdale police on Tuesday after his quick decision helped to save the life of a police officer who was arresting him.

Jamal Rutledge, 17, was handcuffed and sitting in the Fort Lauderdale police booking facility on Sept. 10, a few feet away from a desk where Officer Franklin Foulks was doing paperwork.

Only a few seconds pass before Rutledge gets up to check on the officer and immediately determines him to be in distress.

The handcuffed Rutledge then began kicking the security fence and yelling for help in an effort to alert other officers in the area.

Rutledge, along with the three other officers involved in saving Foulks’ life will be officially honored on Jan. 21 at a city commission meeting.


My opinion: That’s some good news after all the bad news of young black men being killed by police officers.

Post Secret: This was on the website on Oct. 25, 2014:

“Being told how smart I was when I was little has ruined my life.”

My opinion: That reminds me of parenting articles in the newspaper where I read about complimenting your child.  It’s about encouraging them to try and give effort instead of just how smart they are.

“May. 1, 1969: I had a baby girl and gave her up. I know it was the right thing to do but self hate and shame are still with me.  I pray she is happy and has a good life.”

There is a picture of a sign that says Safe Surrender Site with a silhouette of a baby: “We will never know anything about you- not even your name, we DO know how much courage it took to make the decision that you did.  THANK YOU!  Because of that decision we have a beautiful and amazing daughter.”

“Everytime there is a school shooting, I hope that my high school peers remember how they treated me.”

Get enough sleep: I found this Yahoo article on Jul. 23, 2014 called “Getting 8 hrs of sleep a night- you might just want to cut back.”  Here’s an excerpt:

“The lowest mortality and morbidity is with seven hours,” Shawn Youngstedt, a professor in the College of Nursing and Health Innovation at Arizona State University Phoenix, told the Wall Street Journal. “Eight hours or more has consistently been shown to be hazardous.” Experts still generally recommend the range of seven to nine hours nightly for healthy adults, but the ideal number seems to have dropped ever so slightly. It’s why both the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has funded a partnership with the American Academy of Sleep Medicine — the National Healthy Sleep Awareness Project — to discern how to best update recommended sleep guidelines in the coming year, and why the nonprofit National Sleep Foundation is doing the same.

Sandra: Cut back???  Seriously.  I barely get 5 hours a night.  I'm friggin exhausted all  
the time.  I'm up at 6 am, get the boys up, get them breakfast, make lunches, get them dressed, have them out of the house by 7:00, get them to daycare.  I'm at work by 8:00.  work til 4:00.  shop, plan supper, start supper, pick them up from daycare, get home before supper burns. Starts the laundry, tries to clean house, tries to have time to just play with my boys, feeds them, gets them into the shower, covers whatever homework is assigned to them, get them in pjs.  gets them to sleep, folds the laundry,cleans the dishes, figures out what bills I'm paying today.  Dust, vacuum, laundry.  Try to figure out what the heck I'm going to pack them for lunch tomorrow.  I go to bed about 12:00.  Can't sleep cause my mind won't turn off regarding what has to be done when 6:00am comes again. If you can please tell me your secret


My opinion: We should all get 8 hrs of sleep.  Also reading Sandra’s comment was overwhelming.  In her case, it’s about time management and prioritizing.  You should make sandwiches for lunch and make it the night before so you aren’t as rushed in the morning.

Danish dad wins lottery: I found this on Yahoo “Danish dad shocks sons with nearly $3 million lottery.”  There is a video and the sons faces are blurred.  They look like they’re in their late teens and early 20s.  The dad had an indirect approach to telling them the news. 

Dad: I have to tell you something.
Son: Is it bad?
Dad: No.

At first he gives them some cash.  Then later an iPad and more cash.  Then he tells them he won the lottery.  The sons are like: “Oh my god!” lol.    You can watch the video here.


Daredevil eaten alive by anaconda: This was quite awhile back, but here’s a 3min interview:

Paul Rosolie was deliberately eaten alive by an anaconda for an upcoming Discovery TV special. The daredevil recounts what it was like to go into the belly of the beast.

My opinion: I didn’t watch the special, because I’m not really into nature and animal shows.  I heard about it on the radio station 91.7 The Bounce.  The DJ said she watched it, and the last 7 min was where he gets eaten alive.  The majority of it was trying to find a big enough anaconda.


Truck goes up in flames: This truck flips a few times and blows up.  Fortunately, nobody got hurt.  You should check it out:


Jan. 25 Raider’s player charity: I found this on Yahoo news: 

You know, there are people involved in the NFL who use their vast powers and resources for good. Here's one of those stories. Fox Sports' Jay Glazer connected the Oakland Raiders with the family of 4-year-old Ava Urerra of Las Vegas. Ava has a heart condition that Glazer says is like having "half a heart." The result was magnificent.

The Raiders offered young Ava, who has undergone 14 different procedures on her heart, the opportunity to "captain" the team, and gave her signed gear and toys throughout a visit with the team. Offensive lineman Menelik Watson, so touched by Ava's condition, donated his entire game check, $18,000, to help with the expenses of Ava's family.


Saving a child: I found this on Yahoo news:

A bystander who intervened in what police called the attempted abduction of a baby in an East Vancouver grocery store Saturday says he had to pull the would-be abductor's arms off the child.

"I was trying to talk him down and he wouldn't let go of the child, so that was a pretty scary thing," said Joel Pipher.

Pipher, 26, walked into his neighbourhood grocery store, Donald's Market, to get provisions for a late breakfast Saturday morning.

The 26-year-old's only regret is not asking someone to call police immediately. The man is accused of uttering threats at another baby after leaving the store, before police made an arrest.

"I was thinking I've gotta get this guy away from her, the mother, away from the child and away from anybody else."

No comments: