Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Help Tracy Get a Job/ Generation Boomerang



Jun. 1 Help Tracy Get a Job: Do you remember this email “Holistic health practitioners/ Help Robbie Find a Job”?:

Help Robbie Find a Job: I was reading in the Metro on Mar. 19, 2014.  I finally checked out his website today.  It says he did find a job.  He enlisted the whole city of Vancouver to help him find a job.  It’s mainly if someone finds a job for him, and he gives 10% of his salary to the person who gave him the job lead.  He also has his resume up.


I’m going to list the things I want in a job and what I don’t want.  In 2010, I Facebook all my college friends, even ones I haven’t seen since 2005 when I went to NAIT.  I told them I was looking for a job like restaurants, retail, and call centres.  There were a few leads like how Red Lobster is hiring and check the newspapers.

Things I don’t want in a job:
  1. No math
  2. No science
  3. I don’t want to get a degree (Bachelor’s, Masters, Phd)
  4. Low job security
  5. Selling that’s 100% commission
  6. Something very labor intensive
  7. No medicine
  8. No law
  9. No social work
  10. Don’t want to teach, education
  11. Working at night
  12. Don’t want to take writing classes, because I already have a Professional Writing diploma
  13. No trades
Things I want in a job: 
  1. Being creative
  2. Be a book/movie/ TV reviewer
  3. Has benefits
  4. High pay like at least $13/hr
  5. Easy to get to like in downtown, or take 1 or 2 buses
  6. Finding and researching things
  7. An office job
  8. Good job security
  9. A big company (good job security, room to grow)
  10. Continuous learning
  11. Solving problems
  12. Helping people
  13. Sitting
  14. Using computers
  15. Using phones
  16. Organizing
  17. Reading
  18. Writing
  19. Editing
  20. Social activism
I created this list around 2012 and it kept growing. 

Generation Boomerang: CBC has a TV show called Doc Zone that I sometimes watch.  Today I went to work and then read the newspaper.  I wanted to see what’s on TV and Doc Zone had the episode called “Generation Boomerang.” 

I remember reading the info about it, but I didn’t watch it because I wanted to watch something else that night.  So I’m watching it now.  It turns out this episode aired on May 31, 2012.  You can watch the episode here too.  By watching about adults still living with their parents to save money, or until they get married, get a career, etc. really motivated me.  That’s why I wrote the above about “Help Tracy Get a Job.”

I pay rent, buy my own bus pass, and work.  It talked a bit to these parents who have 2 sons who are 23 and 27, and don’t have a high school diploma or jobs.  The psychologist tells them to create a deadline like they have to move out by this date or get a job by this date. 


Superstitious Minds: On a side note, I did watch the Doc Zone episode “Superstitious Minds” when it first aired in Oct. 31, 2013.  You can also watch it on cbc.ca.  I read about it in the newspaper that they were going to talk about feng shui, so I had to watch it.  Lol.

Jun. 10 Social work: I was researching about the Social Work program at MacEwan: 

“MacEwan University has graduated compassionate, professional social workers for over 40 years. Social workers are able to assess and respond to human problems at both an individual and a social, structural level. Successful applicants are open-minded, empathetic, tolerant and committed to building strong communities.


The Social Work program attracts a diverse range of students from many different cultures and backgrounds. You will benefit from that diversity as well as small classes, relevant practicum and dedicated faculty. MacEwan University's commitment to student-centered learning and the flexibility to complete several courses in a blended online format prepare you to find employment in a wide range of settings and/or to continue on with university studies. The program faculty are actively involved in the social work profession, scholarly activity and research.

Successful Applicants

Social Work is an extremely demanding occupation dealing with such challenging issues as sexual abuse and family violence. Successful applicants have a full understanding of what social workers do and the kind of settings they are employed in. It is also highly desirable that you have some life experience and a great deal of self-awareness before coming into the program. Students who take some time to gain practical experience and enhanced insights prior to entering the program are likely to be the most successful.

Volunteer Experience

Before applying to the Social Work program, you must complete a minimum of 70 hours of supervised volunteer work, or have work-related experience in a social work setting or related field. In your application, you will provide the program with a reference from a volunteer supervisor.

For a listing of potential social services agencies that can provide good volunteer experience visit YellowPages.ca and search under Social Services Organizations.

For specific information on agencies, refer to the Directory of Community Services online at Inform Edmonton.”

http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/HCS/Programs/SocialWork/

My opinion: Remember that time back in 2006, The Year of Anger Management?  I was complaining about how much I hate Dr. Phil’s TV show.  My friend Leslie said I get so angry at the show because I take it too personal.  She’s right.  The first 2 seasons, he helped people and I didn’t get angry.  The 3rd season, he didn’t seem to be helping people as much.

When I hear some serious problems, I always say: “Go to counseling.”

Post Secret: On May, 18, 2014, I found this:

“At my best friend’s graduation today I heard a fire engine and could only think of a bomb going off, the FD responding.  Firecrackers went off and I heard machine gun fire.  When I drive in my car, as I look for oncoming traffic I also check local buildings and houses for snipers. 

I have been out of the military for 2 years and was only in Iraq for 4 months.  I am so f---ing scared of everything.”  

My opinion: He needs counseling for his post-traumatic stress disorder.

Cheaters: I remember in 2004, I saw an episode of Cheaters about people catching their partners cheating on them.  This woman finds out her boyfriend was cheating on her and she says to him: “I even got an abortion for you!  I should have kept that f---ing baby!”

My opinion: She needs counseling for her abortion.  When I first saw it, I was like: “Why do you want to have a baby with a guy who cheated on you?”  But then I was like: “So you got an abortion to keep your boyfriend and now you regret it.”

These 2 examples are serious, and I don’t really want to deal with it.  I will point them to the right direction by telling them to go to counseling. 

No comments: