Tuesday, December 3, 2013

mental health/ 16 and Pregnant/ triumphant story

Nov. 20 Mental health:

Winter: Winter has really gotten to me.  I don’t like waiting for the bus in the winter time or shoveling snow.  I have to though.  The thing is, if I don’t like Edmonton winters, then I should move to British Columbia.  Those winters are like 5 degrees and is like early spring when snow is melting.  Or be a “snowbird.”  One time I was working at Telemarketer #1 job and I called this man and he said he won’t be going to any of those shows because he is “snowbird” who goes to the south when it’s winter in Canada.

I do like Edmonton because it’s a big city with lots of fun things to do.  I’ll have to take the weather with it.  I was talking to one of the cooks, and he said he walks to work because he has to start work at 5:30am and no buses come before that.  He leaves at 4:45am and walks to work and gets there by 5:10am.  He sometimes takes the bus home after work if he walks over to a grocery store that’s close by and buys groceries. 

I also have one day off a week from work, so I stay at home all day.  I don’t want to go and wait outside for the bus to go to the mall because it’s cold out.  I don’t want to go to the mall because it’s so busy during the holiday season and I don’t really have anything to buy.

After spending an entire day at home, I usually start going stir-crazy and then I actually want to go out and shovel snow.  Lol.  Or I could stay inside and do other chores around the house.

Nov. 22 Post Secret: "When I was walking down the street tonight a man told me I should kill myself because I'm fat. I told him I hope his life gets better. And I do."

[The most shared Sunday Secret this week] Post Secret.
 
Dec. 2 16 and Pregnant: I’ve been thinking about this for awhile.  I have a rant.  My blog comes in handy.  I’m going to bring back a couple of old posts and I will add my 2013 opinion of it.  Here is a 2010 post about this girl named Lizzie and she was on the show:  
 
http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2010/12/friends-john-edward-good.html
 
16 and Pregnant: I finished reading all the twop comments on Lizzie. At first I really liked her, but after reading all the comments, my opinion has changed. I thought L was like my sister and one of my friends. If they got pregnant as a teenager, and kept the kid and raised it as their own, I'm sure they would still be able to graduate out of high school, college, and have careers. 


It would be really hard, but I think they can make it with a lot of financial and emotional support from their family and friends. The personalities are very go-getters. L's parents were divorced, and L and her mom lived in this big house. L's boyfriend Skylar later moved in with them. Her parents really supported them and the baby Summer. Later Skylar and L got engaged. Then S confessed he cheated on her, and the engagement's off. Then they're back together. This was the only episode that didn't have me saying: "Give the baby up for adoption." 


L graduated out of high school 5 months early. 60% of teen moms don't even graduate out of high school, and she doing it early was really good. She had financial and emotional support from her family and friends. Besides Skylar's infidelity, I think he was an alright guy. He did have a p/t job and was studying the trade of being a glass blower. He took care of the baby. 


The cons: I did notice this, that L got into college and then dropped out because she wanted to spend more time with the baby. That's fine. However, what irked me is that she dropped out, and then told her dad. When I was going to drop out of college, I told my parents first, and then they convinced me to stick with it. Before making a big decision, I really thought she should ask her parents, I think they're paying for it. 


Other twop people said that she should have stuck with college, because it's harder to go back after you quit. When the kid's a toddler running around, it's hard to study. When it's a baby, you can study more because they can't walk. Also take p/t class and not f/t. She was getting good grades too. If her grades were bad, I would understand dropping out. 


Twop pointed out that she bought this homecoming dress, and then showed it to her friends though she isn't going to the dance. Someone said: "L seems to be the kind of person to make a situation about her, even if it isn't."


2011 post:


16 and Pregnant: Another thing that annoys me was that 16&P special: Where are they now? They had that one girl Lizzie. Her boyfriend works 2 jobs so that's good. She's studying to be a dental assistant instead of medical billing like she had done earlier.


She got pregnant, and then her boyfriend moved in with her and her parents. She then got married. I was like okay. What really annoyed was this:

Lizzie: I don't like living with my parents as a married couple because it's awkward.


That reminds me of a jumptheshark.com post where someone was dissing 7th Heaven. Someone said: "If you're old enough to get married and have a kid, I'm sure you're old enough to get your own apartment."

Someone on 16&P twop.com said that "Lizzie did everything ass- backwards." I have to agree.

My 2013 opinion: I have read on twop.com that some people think Lizze “accidentally on purpose” got pregnant so she could have a baby and get her boyfriend to marry her.  She did say on the show she wanted to have kids, but this happened sooner than planned.

1.  Getting pregnant on purpose: What gets me angry is when a teenage girl gets pregnant on purpose than a girl who gets pregnant by accident. 

2. No consequences: My main problem with her is in the “Where are they now?” special where she did say (paraphrase): “A lot of people think teen moms can’t succeed, but I’m going to prove them all wrong.”  I definitely remember the “prove them all wrong” part.

I think she did get pregnant on purpose so she could have a family, and also it seemed like she knew that there were little to no consequences.  She knew she wasn’t going to get kicked out of her house, she was going to get married, she was still going to graduate out of high school, and still going to be able to go to college, and have her family financially and emotionally support her.  What she didn’t predict was that her boyfriend cheated on her.

3. Triumphant story: To get even deeper, I think Lizzie created this situation so she could have a triumphant story to tell.  Everybody likes to hear a story where somebody experienced great adversity and achieved it.  For example like Oprah Winfrey, where she lived in abject poverty and worked hard and got her own talk show.  She continues working hard and her show lasted for 25 yrs and became a millionaire.  Now she donates millions of dollars to charity.

Or how about Liz Murray?  She was on Oprah’s show “From homeless to Harvard.”  She was living in abject poverty, and her mom died when she was a teenager.  Liz was homeless for a month and partying.  Then she thought what would happen if she worked really hard and what would happen in 2 weeks from now or a month from now?  She studied at school until it closed, and then she went to the library.  She then slept on the trains before she had to go to school again.  She went to Harvard and later transferred to Columbia.


My sister checked out this book from the library called The Search for Fulfillment by Susan Krause Whitbourne.  There is this quiz about your life.  You are either living: meandering, downward slope, straight and narrow, triumphant, and authentic.

My story: I didn’t realize it, but I did get triumphant.  I did face adversity like being able to graduate out of high school within 3 yrs and with some grade level classes.  Especially with math.  I attended all my classes, paid attention, did all my homework, got my sister to help me with math nearly everyday.  My parents paid and drove me to my math tutor every week just so I can barely pass Applied math, the second to lowest math class.

I needed to pass math to graduate out of high school and go to college.  I had to spend a year upgrading all 4 core classes like English, Social studies, math, and Biology 30 so I could get into college.

I may not be struggling financially, but I did face adversity with school.  As for Lizzie, I think she purposely created this situation to get a triumphant story.  If she wanted a triumphant story, she should have maybe go into a hard college program or go to law school. 

No comments: