Friday, August 2, 2013

island/ Bayshore Inn/ low classes

Jul. 22 Island: Going to high school is like swimming to the island called Graduation.  My parents wanted me to go this route and swim to the island.  I wanted to go another route like go to Victoria Performing Arts high school, and they won't let me.  If I go to the high school my parents wanted me to go to, the route would be murky water with a few sharks.  As in I wasn't a good and strong swimmer.  My sister went that route and she would be 100 metres away, so kind of close by.  They can keep a watch on me.

The route if I went to Vic would be dark water, with sharks, pirates and sirens.  lol.  There is so much danger over there.  My sister would be 200 metres away.

The analogy is that I'm not a good student.  I had to swim with my sister (she tutoring me in math everyday for hours) and I had to swim behind her.

When I got to the island of Graduation, I got a canoe (a diploma.)  It was then a little easier, because I didn't have to swim anymore.  I just had to paddle.  I paddled to the island of Upgrading.  My sister paddled with me when I need help with college applications like getting into NAIT.

I paddled to NAIT's Graphic Communications island.  I wasn't good at it, but that's fine.

My sister helped me paddle to NAIT's Radio and TV programs, and helped me with my college applications.  I got to the islands, and I didn't get accepted.

My sister helped me paddle to Grant MacEwan's Arts and Cultural Management program.  I was late, and I got to take 3 classes to try it out.  It then lead me to go to the Professional Writing program.  I asked my sister to help me, and she said: "No.  You either fail, don't get accepted, or you quit."  The buck stops here.  I then offered to pay her, but she still wouldn't help me.  At first I was angry, but that's okay.  She did help me in the big important stuff like helping me with my math homework.  That is the most challenging thing ever.  I needed her help 100% on that.

As for college applications, I was able to get Kristy from the Arts program and Nialle who was in the Professional Writing program to read my 3 portfolio pieces and edit them.  Then I was able to get to the next round where I had to do a test.

I paddled to Professional Writing island and stayed there for 2 yrs.  I got an upgraded canoe and paddles.  I did get help with my writing assignments from Nancy who provides Writing Help.

Jul. 25 Bayshore Inn: That job posting had me really thinking about my life if I were to move and get a job as a server there.  I emailed them to ask what's around the resort.  I asked if there's a mall, hospital, to buy things you need, if there's TV, and internet to keep in touch with your family.  They said it's 35 min. away from another town and there is a pharmacy and a shuttle bus to drive you there twice a week.

The pros:

1. I don't have a kid so I don't have to think about "Where will my kid go to school when I work?"
2. I don't have a boyfriend in the city.
3. I'm only leaving a regular restaurant job for another regular restaurant job.
4. If I go to the new job, and I'm bad at it, I can easily go home back to my parents.  It would be difficult if I lived in my own apartment.  Then I would have to move my stuff into storage, or go call up my friend Leslie and say: "Hey, can I leave my stuff at your place?  You can read all my magazines, and listen to my cds."  lol.
5. If I were to go there, I would have to buy an iPod and put all my music in there.  Probably get a laptop too.  There is internet access there.
6. I would be away from my friends and family, but there is Facebook and weekly emails.
7. I don't have to stay here because I have to take care of somebody like my parents.
8. I don't have to go to school.
9. I would actually be saving money if I go work there.  I don't have to pay for food and rent because meals and housing is provided.  At home, I pay $400 rent and I get a place to live, home cooked meals every night, TV and internet.  I go there and I don't spend money at all.

The cons:


1. Not being around my family.  I'm 27 yrs old, and I never once moved out.  But, wait, my sister is 30 yrs old and never moved out.  That's because we have it really good.  Look at reason #9.

Jul. 26:

2. Edmonton is a really big and nice city.  There are lots of malls, night clubs, restaurants, things to do here.  There are lots of jobs and companies to work at.  You can meet lots of people.

3. This is also the same as a pro in #3.  I'm making a lateral move from one restaurant job to another restaurant job.  If I was to move, it should be for a big step up.

Jul. 27: If I lived in a small town and was anxious to move out, then I would take that job.  I don't have to take it.  I was thinking about Teen Mom 2, and Kailyn's boyfriend Javi was going to join the military.  He had to leave the city to go to military training.  It's a step up.  If I were to leave town, it would be to go and produce my script.

Jul. 29 Fort McMurray: I remember meeting this Aboriginal woman at the Soup Place.  She worked there and she told me that she had worked as a cook in Fort McMurray at a camp.  She said there was TV and internet there.

Jul. 31 Social 23: I've mentioned this flashback before where Mr. Smith assigned us questions to do in class: "I don't assign you guys homework because I know you're not going to do it."  He basically dissed the entire class and called us slackers.  I was not offended because he wasn't personally dissing me.  He was dissing the entire class.  If anyone had a problem with
that comment, then they can go to the principal and complain.  The principal will most likely tell Mr. Smith to not say that comment.

I know it's not his intention: "What's a really good way to get the class really angry?  I'll diss them for being slackers."  He was telling the plain truth because of his previous experience teaching the classes before us.  This was when I was in gr. 11.

Low classes: I wasn't offended because I've already been dissed for my mediocre grades.  In gr.9, when the students are supposed to be registering for their high school classes, all 3 of my teachers recommended the low classes: Math 14, Science 14, English 13, and Social 13.  (I only had one teacher who taught Eng. and Social).  It wasn't like a direct diss at me, as in they weren't saying straight to my face: "You are not a good student."  My friend was beside me and she was recommended all the low classes too. 

She said something about: "I wanted to get into Math Pure Prep 10."  I told her I was going to go into Applied Math 10 which is one step above Math 14.  She went into Applied Math with me.  I know my teachers recommended me into the low classes, because they thought that was a good fit for me.  I can genuinely imagine if I complained to the principal about the teachers were pretty much calling me stupid by recommending that I go into the low classes.

The teachers and principal would say: "Look at your grades.  They're all Cs.  Do you really expect us to tell you to go into the grade level classes so that you can risk failing and not graduate out of high school?  Go into all the low classes and then you can 100%
graduate."

I don't have delusions of grandeur.  I had the self- awareness of my skills and abilities.  I knew my parents weren't going to let me go to Victoria because my grades aren't good enough and they can't keep an eye on me while I was far away.  I knew I was going to have to endure a lot of hard work.  There is a chance I may not graduate within the 3 yrs time. 

Colleges: I was also dissed again in gr. 10 when I was signing up for gr. 11 classes.  My mom wanted me to take Mandarin the next yr so I can get into university.  My sister said no, because it was pretty obvious that even if I did take a second language, I wasn't going to get into university with my grades.  It's a diss, but at the same time it was the plain truth.  There is no nicer way to say it.

No comments: