Tuesday, January 29, 2013

writer interview/ contract lesson/ Bobbi Lou Gray

Jan. 14 Writer interview: Here is an imaginary interview where a host is interviewing me at a TV studio.

Host: How long have you been writing the Rain script?

Me: Since 2009.

Host: It has taken 4 yrs to write this script?  Is it done?

Me: No.  It's 43 pages long, and I would say that is the pilot.  That Episode, Part 1 is done.  But Part 2 isn't.

Host: Why is it taking so long for you to write this?

Me: I was living my life.  2009 was the Year of The Vertex Fighter.  I was working full-time and pitching my script The Vertex Fighter.  In 2010, it was the Year of Unemployment.  It's about priorities.  I was unemployed for months, and was constantly looking for a job, you got to understand that.

Host: Yes.

Me: In 2011, the Year of the Office Job Search.  I was working, and looking for an office career and going to job interviews all around town.  The priority is to make even more money.  In 2012, the Year of New Directions, I was working, looking for an office career, and working at part-time temporary jobs.

Host: So working is more important?

Me: I am results-oriented.  I want to and need to make money.  I have been writing a lot.  Don't you read my blog?  I write non-fiction and my life.

Host: What about your script/ fiction?

Me: I did some here and there.

Host: Explain.

Me: Well let's talk about the evolution of the Rain script.  In 2009, there were false starts like the script Garret which is like The Vertex Fighter with the character names are different.  Then there was Daniel, which is like Garret without the MMA.  In Rain, there was someone looking for her.  It changed to someone looking for someone else.

In 2010, there was a sister character, but got deleted because she didn't add to the story.  There was a 3rd bad guy in the crew, but he got deleted.  If you read my drafts, you can see the changes.

Jan. 15 Other script: In 2011, I did complete a 43 page script in a month.  It was for a TV producer and his show.  He needed me to write an episode so I pushed myself and I did.

The Vertex Fighter: I pitched my script to a TV production company, and they said they're interested in reading it.  I haven't did a major work on it since 2011 when I met with Edmonton Public Library Writer in Residence Marty Chan.  I talked to him for an hr and then I went home and wrote and thought about the script for 2 hrs.

Right now I'm working on the script.  I think I will have to delete 2 pages or at least rewrite these 2 pages with Shawn's parents in it.  This is exactly what happened with earlier drafts with Shawn's ex-girlfriend makes an appearance.  They don't really add to the story.

Jan. 16 3.5 floppy disk: Looks like another one of those disks stopped working.  I got this one from like 1994 or 1995.  I'll give Polaroid disk points for lasting this long.  Yeah, well at least it didn't have my script on it.  It has those short stories I have posted on my blog.

Jan. 17: I transferred one document to another disk, so I can write on it.  Now this Maxell disk stopped working.  This one is from 2005.

Computer books: I also recycled two computer books.  I had to ask my sister first if I could get rid of them because she did buy them.  One is Windows 95 for Dummies and Using Dos.  Both is from the 90s.  Then I thought about donating books to Africa, because I have read charities about it. 

Does Africa have computers?  Or they're second hand computers.  Look, I'll just recycle them.

I remember this Buffy episode where Cordelia is talking to Giles in the library.

Cordelia: I'm supposed to get books on computers.  Isn't the whole point of computers is so that we don't have to use books?

Me: Yeah.  It reminds me of college where you sometimes have to get books on computers for your computer classes.

Stage 32:
I'm learning more about this social media network for filmmakers.  I got an email from them for the "Tip of the Week."  If you're trying to find work, update your location to find work in your area.

Kimberly Faye Greenberg: Stage 32 also sent me this piece about her.  She's a Broadway actress, and she is the creator of the website Broadway Blogspot.  It's a theatrical website for onstage and behind- the- scenes workers.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5200298/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

http://broadwayblogspot.com/

Contract lesson: Here's a blog post called "A Christmas Actor's Story" by Richard Wilson who is an actor/ director/ screenwriter from New Jersey.

It's this story about a actress who signs a contract to go to Denmark to make a film for a month.  She would be getting paid "per diem."  The contract is complicated and lots of questions and uneasy feelings are appearing:

"Does that mean every day that she's there or everyday that they shoot or everyday that she's required to be ready to shoot? What happens if something goes wrong and the shoot does not finish? Does she still get paid? What if the Director were to become ill and is unavailable or something like that? Who is actually writing the check?"

These are good questions.  She hasn't gotten paid in 2 months, and the story doesn't really have an ending until she gets paid.  She is struggling to pay her bills.  The lesson is: "If something is too good to be true, then it probably is."  Also listen to your intuition.

http://www.stage32.com/blog/christmas-actors-story

Jan. 19 Canadian Screen Awards: There used to be a Gemini and Genie award shows for Canadian TV shows and movies.  Now, they will be merged to one award show called the Canadian Screen Awards.  Maybe it will bring more attention to our Canadian projects.

Bobbi Lou Gray: Today I was at Chapters at West Ed mall and I see a sign to meet an author.  I have met a couple there before.  I met Bobbi Lou Gray who was promoting a couple of her books.  One of them is Lunenburg Letters.  It's historical fiction.

The story is of Peter Hess and Katarina Mattern and their families who move to Nova Scotia in 1750.  They start to fall in love, but then are separated.  Here's a more detailed description here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10454118-lunenburg-letters

Here's her official website:
http://www.bobbilougray.com/index.html
Me: So how long did it take for you to write this book?
BLG: About 5 months.
Me: Wow, that's fast.
BLG: But it took about 40 yrs of research.
Me: Because you were busy living your life?
BLG: Yes.

No comments: