Sunday, August 5, 2012

consulting/ writing consultant/ job advice

Jul. 21 Consulting: I was brainstorming some job ideas after seeing my career counselor.  Maybe go into consulting.  I found this article about it here, "How to become a consultant."  Also there are more pages like how to start a consulting business. 
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384

The article says that a consultant is: "an expert in a particular field who works as an advisor either to a company or to another individual."

I should do some consulting in writing, editorial, publishing, communications.  I would say I have knowledge in it because I have formal education in because I went to college for Professional Writing.

TV shows: Interesting how I didn't think about being a consultant before even when I watch all these shows about it.  We got The Mentalist where a mentalist/ psychic works for the California Bureau of Investigations to solve crime.  There's Castle where a mystery novelist follows a detective around as they solve cases together.  There's The Listener where a telepath works for the IIB to solve cases.  

Jul. 23 Start a consulting business: Here's the 2nd page on how to start a consulting business.  They're hired to teach, provide objectivity for the business and see things that other employees don't, or do "dirty work" like lay off people. 

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384-2

Then the pages go on, and it applies to being an independent business.

Location and employees: Work at home, and maybe hire someone to do boring stuff like stuff envelopes.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384-3

Income and billing: This is a little more complicated with project rates and retainer fees.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384-4

Marketing: Make your own brochures, cold calling by following your script, advertising, make your own newsletters, and get referrals after you done an assignment for a client.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384-5

Resources:  Here are some associations and books for you to check out.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/41384-6

The above is more geared business consulting because it's from the business magazine Entrepreneur

Writing consultant:
It's probably easier for me to be a writing consultant, because I have a formal education in writing by going to college for it.  If I were to be a business consultant, then I would have to take business in college.

I found this webpage, and it's about more of a writer for business.  Interview the company workers, gather info and write about it.

http://www.jobprofiles.org/buswriter.htm

Here's a good Yahoo article tell the duties: "He or she will likely not have anything to do with the writing itself, but will help you brainstorm and formulate your ideas as you come up with them."  It's kind of like the Writer in Residence at the Edmonton Public Library and at Grant MacEwan.
http://voices.yahoo.com/hiring-writing-consultant-218085.html

Dream: This reminds me of a dream I had months ago.  I was reviewing a 13 yr old girl's short story.  A little bit of a reversal of situations because I'm the one asking for help for the Writer in Residence.

Editing consultant:
I Googled "How to be an editing consultant" and I mainly got editing consulting services, but now how to be one.

I Googled "How to be an editorial consultant."  I then seem to get companies that are like writing consultants.

Here's Fish Publishing that sounds like the above Yahoo article: "The Service is designed to provide writers with on-going, constructive feedback on their work, whether it is a complete novel or just the beginnings."

http://www.fishpublishing.com/editorial-consultancy-service.php

Dating coach: I was looking up consulting and found Coach Marcie who's a dating coach.  She also coaches empowerment life coaching and sexual assault coaching.  This looks like a good website:

http://www.coachmarcie.com/services.php
Script consultant:
This is something I'm really interested in.  I did find this really good website about a script consultant named Catherine Kretz.
http://www.scriptconsultant.ca/

Jul. 24 Job advice: I found this in the Globe and Mail.  Jim Beqaj who was an investment banker and is now the president of the Toronto-based career consulting firm Beqaj International.  He says it's a mistake to take any job that's available. 

He says: "If you take any job and you hate it, there is not a chance in the world you can do a good job."

He's got a point.  It depends if you really need to make money, so you take the first job you can get.  It also depends on the job.  When I was working at Call Centre #2, after a few months I started to hate it.  However, it didn't really affect my performance because it wasn't a really hard job to call people to do surveys.  I kept showing up everyday and working.

As for that office job that I worked at for one day, I didn't really like it.  If I didn't like it, then I wouldn't be able to do a good job at it because I also didn't think I was good at it.  It was really hard.  I hope they do hire somebody who would like it and be good at it.

Pros and cons:
My friend Sherry emailed me back about that job advice in listing the pros and cons.  She says: "listing them is good cause it gets you thinking."

Jul. 24 Telemarketer #3: I saw an ad for Telemarketer #3 job.  I got a call from them back in 2011.  I was told the shifts were 5:15pm-10:15pm and it was temporary.  I thought about it and it was a temporary job, and I wanted something permanent.  It was also late in the evening and I had to take 2 buses to get home and be home by 11pm.  Then I would have wake up early at 6am for work.  So I didn't go to the interview.

Now I see the ad again and I called.  The shifts are 5:15pm-9:15pm.  So I could get home by 10pm.  However, the place is by MacEwan downtown campus, a few blocks up north of it.  It's kind of like Chinatown and more of a rundown neighborhood.  Not giving me a safe feeling.

Those other call centres I worked at were all in downtown and in a very public place with people everywhere.  

Jul. 26 Work: In other news, I learned that another server who was dismissed months ago has now got another job at another restaurant.

Dance teacher: I'm entertaining career ideas in my mind.  How about be a dance teacher?  I can dance hip-hop.  However, it's the credentials that I lack.  At eHow it gives tips on how to be a dance teacher. 

1. Figure out what kind of dancing you want to teach.
2. Find books and videos on how to dance.  Then practice it. 
3. Take dance lessons.
4. Ask a friend or family member to be a student for you.
5. Apply to dance studios when you're ready to teach.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2054312_become-dance-teacher.html

Video:
I then watched a video how to become a pop back up dancer by this black guy Cedric Turner.  He says to join a dance team, take dancing classes, practice your dancing.  You have to find auditions like go on the internet, read the newspaper to find them.  There are lots of videos teaching you how to dance.
http://www.ehow.com/video_5681000_become-pop-backup-dancer.html

Experience: I never took any dancing lessons.  I was in the talent show in jr. high school where I danced in front of hundreds of people.  I learned how to dance from watching TV and dancing by myself at home.  I have learned line dancing in jr. high school for gym class.

3 comments:

M Ahmed said...

Nice work about consultation, and thumbs up for the great information you share on this post.
Business Consulting Firm in UAE

Unknown said...

Great post!! Consultant CompanyToronto

Sophie Grace said...

I found your weblog the usage of msn. This is an extremely smartly
written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of
your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely return. Welcome go to our site webstagram