Wednesday, July 27, 2011

job interview/ Taste of Edmonton/ artists

Jul. 25 Job interview: I did a job interview today in the evening. That's when I usually go out at night, to do interviews. I don't go out with my friends very often. I did some shopping before my interview started. I went to the book store and they sold all these electronic reader holders for your Kindle. It's a Chapters/ Indigo/ Coles which is all one big company. There is a great sale for journals. The original price for them are $10-$12, and now they're selling it for $1-$5.

Did you know the American bookstore Borders will be closing down in Sept.?

Dateline: My friend Sherry emailed me back about Dateline and these are her comments:

"Hearing friends say you should stop something, and KNOWING you are addicted are two different things. it has seemed to me and is the basis of some groups that the step between not knowing and knowing that a person needs to take before they can truly fight an addiction. therapy can help a person come to terms with where they have been and where they are, but it's like when something suddenly 'clicks' inside that that person will change from who they were before. bummer is, you can guess what might trigger the change, but you cannot force it.

Predators are good at not being caught, and it is a game for the more extreme ones. also, hearing that something is wrong and realizing that what you are doing IS that something is not always cut and dried."

I wanted to add about that video clip of the 35 yr old guy who was going to "date" a 12 yr old girl. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14FZUc8_rWI

What annoys me is that the guy is so fake. It was like watching a really flamboyant gay guy date a straight woman. He was so pretending he was into the girl when he wasn't. I'm not saying he's gay. From the video, I'm getting the vibe that he is desperate for a girlfriend, he will date anyone of the opposite sex.

If he's so desperate, either date a 18 yr old girl or date someone way older like 50 yrs old. It seems this guy wants real love, and a 12 yr old girl will fall in love with him. If he buys a prostitute, then it's an acting job for her. She pretends to be interested in him. I was talking to my friend Angela about it.

A: It sounds like you're defending him.
Me: No, I'm not defending him. I'm explaining why he would date a 12 yr old instead of buying a prostitute. It's more real if a 12 yr old truly falls in love with him instead of a prostitute pretending to fall in love with him.

Jul. 27 Taste of Edmonton: Today I went to work and then spent 2 hrs on the internet looking for a job. I applied to 15 places today. I decided to have some fun. I went downtown and deposited a large amount of tips into my bank account.

I went to City Centre and see that Costa Blanca's store is closing down, so go shop there because there's a big sale. There's a new store called IXIA Boutique where that formal wear store was.

Now about the Taste of Edmonton. I signed up for a draw to win a free digital camera, and I signed up to win tickets to see the play Wicked. The Edmonton Journal gave a good review about it saying it's about The Wizard of Oz before Dorothy came. I signed up for the draw to win $50 gift certificates to restaurants in Edmonton.

I didn't buy any food because I wanted to save money. I told my brother and he said: "The portions are too small." If you want a little bit of everything from Greek to Chinese to Ukrainian to Indian food in one place, I guess you kind of pay for the convenience. It's $1 a ticket. The food is mostly $4-$5. A few are $3.

Artists: I went to Taste last year and I collected these business cards from artists. I meant to write about them in my weekly email, but I didn't. So I'm writing it now a year later. It turns out there are a couple of artists from last year who came back out this year.

Bernadette McCormark: She's a good artist. I like her style of bright colors and the vibe is so happy and cheerful. It's mostly nature like trees. Here's my favorite one. It's of hands reaching out for stars, hearts, flowers and leaves. It's called "Give."

http://www.bernadettemccormack.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&specific=jnmrmqp8

Saeed Hojjati: He's really talented. The detail is so good. It's the kind of thing I would see in a art museum. He paints a lot of streets, doors, and windows.

http://www.sansaeart.com/sansaeart/home

Chris Riley: I like his details and the paintings are so beautiful. I looked at the paintings today. Then I was going through my desk and found this business card. I went on the site and then realized his art was here this yr and last yr. I really like his website. It plays this nice soft music when you look at the art.

www.rileyart.com

Jayna Simpson: I got this business card last month, but I forgot what festival. I then went to her website and it was for the Art and Design Festival. She makes these huge murals for homes, businesses, and kids rooms. I laughed at the Super Mario one. She paints these Buddha statues.

Check it out:

www.paintedplanet.org

Fun: I was riding on the bus to downtown today and I was reading the Globe and Mail Life section with the headline: "The dog stole my freedom." A man who sat behind me asks if he could take a picture so he could send it to his friend." I said yes.

The article was written by Kevin Bray and he talks about how this poodle he got has taken over his life. It was work to take care of a dog.

Twilight Zone: I read this article in the Edmonton Journal on Jul. 10 and clipped it ut. "Cross over into the Twilight Zone- and find today's movie plots" by Maureen Dowd. It talked about the creator Rod Serling: "...Serling's father, a middle- class grocer, lost his business in the Depression, so Rod had an early lesson in reversals."

Doug Brode, Serling's friend said: "Many Zone episodes are about that split- second of fate where somebody arbitrarily gets spared or, absurdly does not."

I was talking about reversals with my friend Angela and she asked: "Is this for your writing?" Of course. A few months ago I saw this episode where a woman named Marsha buys a gold thimble on the 9th floor of the department store. There's no 9th floor says the manager. She talked to a sales woman who sold it to her.

Later, Marsha sees the back of the sales woman, and then it turns out the sales woman was a mannequin! That was kind of scary. Marsha tries to run out of the store later, but is trapped in an elevator. The door opens, and the mannequin is standing there. Aah! The mannequin turns into the sales woman and helps out Marsha.

Turns out that Marsha is a mannequin herself. Each mannequin lives outside with humans for a month. Marsha had forgotten what she really was.

Actors: I was watching Pretty Little Liars and I see Dagney Kerr at the dinner party. I wrote about her before awhile ago. She played Buffy's roommate on Buffy and was a nurse on Desperate Housewives. It was interesting to see her here.

Ethnic diversity: Maybe not as interesting when I noticed an East Indian guy at the party. My sister noticed it too. PLL doesn't really have a lot of ethnic diversity, kind of like The OC.

If I see someone of a different race on this show, I notice it immediately. There was a black woman who played the swim coach and was on for a few episodes. There is the Hispanic cop Garrett who actually has a pivotal point in the series. He seems good, but he's really bad and is working against the 4 girls.

A few episodes ago, I saw two different black guys in two different parts of an episode. I will give points they are showing a little bit more of people of different races.

No comments: